Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Blah.

Today we are 22 weeks, 4 days pregnant!

Sooo I suppose every blog has to have a grumpy post, and, well, here is mine.  I've been having a somewhat painful week and here's how it started:

Last Thursday, at approximately 9pm, I was sitting at my neighbor's watching the (terrible) UT vs Alabama game when all of a sudden, I felt this sharp pain in my uterine area.  So I quietly got up and mumbled some excuse as to why I had to leave and limped home.  At that point, the pain was so severe, it took my breath away.  Shawn got me to lay down and relax and he asked me what I wanted to do.  Not wanting to freak out, I told him we'd go to bed and see if I still had this pain in the morning, as I was hoping it was just something simple as gas.  The next morning, pain still there, we made an appointment for that day to go in. At the OB's, they (a physician's assistant, all doctors were busy) checked me out, my cervix, etc.  I was not in early labor and my test for being in labor any time in the next two weeks came back negative, and the baby vitals were all normal, so that's good.  However, I was given basically no answers other than increase fiber and water and rest as it could be anything from constipation to a torn ligament.  So fast forward to today, still having this pain.  I'm frustrated because I really feel as if this pain was never taken seriously by any medical professional.  Am I a doctor?  No, clearly I am not, but I am a first-time pregnant 30 year old woman who knows her body.  And quite honestly, I prefer to be treated as such and to be listened to.

So all my frustrations had culminated to me taking some action today.  I called my OB's office (I won't even cover the 23 minutes I had to wait on hold, being disconnected, etc...) and finally spoke to my Dr.'s assistant (my doc is on vacay this week) and talked to her for 30 minutes.  I assured her I don't think this is normal round ligament pain, and that I would appreciate an offer of an ultrasound to rule everything out.  Forty-five minutes later, I got a call-back after she spoke to the doctor on call, and abracadabra, we have an appointment for an ultrasound Friday morning.  Thank God.

Now I'm not saying that there is something hugely wrong with me, I'm just a little scared.  Well, I'm a lot scared, to be honest.  Shawn and I are already so in love with this little baby girl growing inside of me, and I don't know what I would do if I found out that something were wrong, especially if my quick action could have possibly helped.  I just can't wait until we get to hold this little beauty in our arms!

So I will update once we get any word.  Again, I don't anticipate any big news, rather I'm hoping to just say that it was something little.  Also, our next normal visit with our doctor is Friday, January 22nd.  That is also our 24 week mark, which they call our viability date, so we're looking forward to that!  We hope this finds you all well and will update you when we have results.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment